food addiction

Maybe this is one of those things that is not news to anyone with common sense but I think it underscores the need for help with this type of thing and that you can't do it yourself! Stop kidding yourself (I'm talking to me here.)

Having a hard time switching from potato chips to carrots? You are not alone! As people in our country continue to grow more and more obese, many research scientists are putting in long hours to investigate biological causes. Last month, scientists from the Scripps Research Institute issued a report that shows -definitively, for the first time- that the same biological processes that cause drug addiction are behind the compulsion to overeat. Many obese people have been making this statement for years–that they feel out of control after eating junk food, and the more they eat, the more they want.Workingwellresources, Working Well Resources' Blog, Apr 2010

The whole article is worth reading.

I'm starting a 10 day food log tomorrow. The template for it was given to me by a friend who is the Fitness Center Coordinator & Strength & Conditioning Coach for a local college. I'll record in detail everything I eat, when and how much. Also, things like sleep, workouts and any illness. I'll forward these logs to him and then I guess he will advise me on what I could change. I'm glad it's only for 10 days. I find this type of thing tedious and difficult. How do you determine how much of the ingredients of a home-made casserole or goulash you ate in a serving? I look forward to making some changes though.

As for my aches and pains, I felt great today. Almost perfect. The only shoulder pain I had was when I wacked it into a door. :-(

I was worried about coming down with a cold too but that seems to have passed as of today.

I had intended to do a bike ride after work but decided I had too much to do to help Mrs. MTBMan1 prepare for a big garage sale tomorrow. I did get some exercise raking and mowing the lawn.

So tomorrow is the garage sale and Sunday doesn't sound too good weather wise. Maybe the gym. I'll start working those flabby arms!

Posted in |

0 comments: