For Medicinal Purposes Only!



By now I'm sure everyone has heard about the supposed beneficial properties of red wine and chocolate. This is not news. It's been going around for years. It's just that every now and then a new study comes out confirming the benefits. Plus everybody gets a kick to think of such traditionally comfort "foods" being good for you. Even my doctor recommended a few ounces of wine with a meal to improve my HDL cholesterol numbers.

So for a few months now I have been having a glass of burgundy or cabernet with my evening meal. This is the first time in my life that I've ever kept wine in my house. The only time I would drink would be every couple of months when we would have dinner out or visit relatives. Not that I didn't enjoy it. I don't particularly like getting "high", the positive effect lasts only a few minutes and then I get very lethargic, but I like the taste and it really enhances the enjoyment of certain foods.

And while I don't have chocolate every day I like to have a bite of strong, dark chocolate often. For my health, of course! ;-)
They say one small square is sufficient for the health benefits. More than that is counterproductive.


Today's workout was a very light one at the gym on that stat bike. Only 20 minutes, the workout was from the Heart Rate Monitor indoor cycling workbook by Edwards and Reed. I didn't even break a sweat!
I'm still being very careful building up my base. I'm keeping an eye on some discomfort in my left leg behind the knee and the achilles tendon. Even on an easy workout like this.

Posted in |

0 comments: