OK. I give up!

All right, I'll concede. Ski season IS over. I mean, spring skiing can be great but absolute-last-day-to-the-bitter-end skiing can be well ... challenging.

Don't get me wrong. We had a great day today at Mt. Snow. It was their last day of the season and they were offering $25 lift tickets so we went.

As can be expected, the terrain was limited, lots of bare ground and closed trails but it was in better shape than Plattekill a week ago last Friday.

The snow was soft and slushy. Not too bad in most spots especially in the upper half of the mountain but it got a little hairy at the bottom at least on the green "Long John" trail that we rode all day. Deeply rutted and wet. There was even running water at the end of the day. I think some of the blues were probably in better condition but we just didn't feel up to trying them.

It turned out to be a beautiful day, weather-wise. It started out cloudy but soon cleared up into a nice blue-bird day but not too hot. It was very windy at times. Once it was actually hard to get out of the lift at the unload because of the stiff wind blowing directly at us!

So after we got our ski legs, it was fun but because of the conditions we felt limited even beyond the fact of so many trails being closed. Not quite like the peak of the season when the surface and base are so good you feel confident skiing just about anything and you don't get quite so tired.

On my last run I could feel that the heaviness of the snow had crossed that line for me where it was just too hard to push and I no longer felt in control. Near the end of the run someone had got hurt, there were ski patrol working on a fallen skier and others were falling on that very rough section right near the end so I know it wasn't just me. I called it quits.

Here I am striking a pose halfway down "Long John"


Slushy! This was much worse later in the day.

We rode this one trail all day long. Carinthia is now exclusively a terrain park area.


View. The best views were looking backwards while riding the lift!

Winter's done, dude. Get over it.

Posted in |

0 comments: