Skiing and Aging

Today we put away our ski gear (again). Very sad. Putting the boots away was the worst. Harder than taking down the Christmas tree! It's a tacit acknowledgment that winter (and skiing) is finally over (like I said last week). I'm resigned to it. (Unless of course someone wants to treat me to a weekend at Killington or Jay Peak, ahem.)

Ok, ok, I'll knock it off.

It's just that I feel like time is running out. I'm 62 now. In 8 years I'll be 70. 70! Now that's old! And 8 years is nothing. I see people skiing into their 70s and they're pretty good too. But they've probably been skiing all their lives. I just started 4 years ago. I figure I need to get my technique down because my strength and flexibility are only going to decrease. I mean, I'm going to keep working out and doing my best to maintain and even improve my fitness but let's face it, in lieu of some miracle medical breakthrough, my body is going to deteriorate and then die in what ... 20, 30, 40 years at the outside? So I figure if I have good technique that's something you don't ever lose and it's going to help by requiring less strength to ski and keep me from crashing (as much). I want to live long enough to get those senior discounts and FREE skiing at Whiteface for the over 70 crowd! Woo-hoo!

I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.

We met a guy at Butternut who was in his 80's still skiing. He lived nearby, only 5 minutes away and buys season tickets. He only skis a few hours a day 'cause he's afraid of getting too tired and then getting hurt. Bones and joints are more fragile. Doesn't need to push it 'cause he can easily ski every day. That's the ticket!

On the upside, I have the same fondness for my Raleigh Olympian bicycle as for my ski boots. I dug the lawnmower out of the garage and had to move the bikes. I felt that same rush of pleasure looking at the Raleigh. Maybe it won't be too bad getting into cycling season. A different way to have fun and stay fit.

I think my snowboarding friend, Brian, is trying to torment me. Even as I'm writing this he sent me a dump alert from Mammoth in Cali. 20" of fresh powder last night! That's insane!



Had another visit to the physical therapist's today. Did the neck traction thing, my exercises, a new exercise with the elastic bands and pedaling at some machine with my hands. I felt great after the session. I love PT. I know some can be painful but my experience has only been positive. I just love working with the pros and learning about my body. The neck traction is very relaxing.


I mowed the lawn today. That was my "movement for the day", outside of the PT. Should have put the heart rate monitor on to see how much of workout I'm getting because I didn't have time to ride or go to the gym. :-(

Oh, well ... 'tis the season! Hopefully I will get some biking in one of these days!

Posted in |

0 comments: