Day 12, 09/10 Ski Season ... Plattekill

Today may possibly have been our last day of this ski season but I say "possbily" because I am going to keep my options open. Lookin' at some Vermont areas.
Mt Snow is intending to be open next weekend with $25 lift tickets and Killington is selling late season passes good until May 2nd which, I guess, means they intend to stay open until May.

Of course, a lot depends on the weather. I love to ski but I would not want to be in the ski resort business!

It was not great conditions at Plattekill but hey, it's spring, pushin' 80 degrees and ... it's skiin'.

The snow was, of course, soft and wet, after all, it's in the 70's. Last year this would have been impossible for me but this year I can do it. I'm enjoying it. I'm able to turn without trying to push the whole mountain. Much less tiring!

The big problem was with the bare spots. The best run for me was a blue combo, Sundown then turning on to the "Face" which is the lift line. The only problem was that "turn". It had really deep ruts and was churned up and lots of mud and dirt mixed in with the snow which I think just spooked me. After lunch there were some bare spots on that turn which made the line pretty narrow.

So I was happy to ski Powder puff the rest of the afternoon. It's skiin'!

Had some fam up from Virginia so that was a treat for us and for them. They don't get to ski much down there even if they DID get more snow than us this year (humph!).

Here's da pics!

This is a turn on Powder Puff with a view!



As you can see, it's getting some bare spots. It was disconcerting when we drove up but it turned out OK!


This was looking up Sundown from the 1st hairpin turn. Favorite run of the day!

This is the other side of that turn on Sundown as I'm about to descend


Now I'm on "Shredded Mozzarella" looking back. Right where that skier is in the picture, is where
the turn onto the "Face" is that gave me trouble later. It was not too bad in this picture earlier
in the day.

Now, I'm about to start down "Mozzarella". Not bad here, but wait ...

Hmmm... Ol' Moz is gettin' kinda thin

I'm not going to attempt that! Don't even have to think about it! Off come the skis!

Maybe someone could do this on one ski .... not me!

Forget it! This trail was closed the next time I came down! The ski patrol guy said he walked it
too so I don't feel too bad.


I have to thank and commend Plattekill for a valiant effort ($20 tickets too!). Thanks for staying
open so we could have one more day! Sorry about the pictures of the bare spots. We really
had a great time. It was all skiable!

Posted in |

0 comments: