Now my life is complete!

I have my bike computer installed on the Raleigh and it is working, so I have my cadence and mileage and average speed numbers. Sweet.
I rode today. It was 28 degrees out but expected to warm up to the 50s. No biggy. I can dress for it. Plus it was just such a nice morning I couldn't pass it up. Clear and sunny, no wind. I am not going to get a chance to ride during lunch today because I have an appointment with the oral surgeon at 10:30 and then I have to drive 1-1/2 hours down to Poughkeepsie to swap out a bad hard drive in their file server.
I ramped up my training today to 50 minutes in zone 3, that's 70-79% of my maximum heart rate so I rode a new route, essentially extended my 10.3 mile Meads Lane loop to go past Five Rivers Environmental Center down to the end of New Scotland South Rd and then back for a total of 14.5 miles.

Everything was toasty except my toes as usual. My new Pearl Izumi socks did well up until about 27 minutes when I started to feel a little cold in the tootsies. Not bad, all told, though. They didn't get real cold until the very end. Hey, as long as they hurt they're ok, right? You don't want them so you can't feel them. That's when you're heading for frostbite! The socks said "cool" on the package. I couldn't figure if they meant they kept your feet cool in the hot weather or they are designed to keep you warm in the cool weather. I guess the latter since they were livable at 28 degrees.
So anyhow, I did great on this ride. As usual, after the 6 minutes of warm up, as I ratcheted up the HR into zone 3, my legs asked me "why are you doing this?" But I have learned to ignore that and by the end the same HR feels like I'm just cruisin ' .... easy. Of course that's cause the endorphin flow has effectively anesthetized my body from any discomfort at this point. :-)
My average speed was up to 12 from 10 but I am including my warm-up and cool-down time in the total so I am quite pleased. Just over 1 month now to my half-century for the American Diabetes Association!

Posted in |

0 comments: