Recruit the glute (s)!

This morning I rode out to the Albany Country Club and back, about 16 miles. I warmed up for 10 minutes and then did 15 minutes in Zone 2 (60-70%MHR), 30 minutes in Zone 3 (70-80%MHR), back in zone 2 for 15 minutes and finally a 10 minute cool down. Another beautiful day, 43 degrees, a little busier traffic-wise on this route but no problem.
I read about heels-down pedaling and sliding back on the saddle to involve the glutes more. I have been trying this especially on climbs and it seems to help. Many of the hills that used to be a dread to look forward to are now no problem. That seemed to be the case on this ride. I rode out from the house 40 minutes which put me almost to the country club clubhouse road and back. This is a fairly hilly route and while none of the hills ever caused me a problem they would put my HR over 90%. Not so today. I did notice some lactate burn in my quads while spinning after the hills though. Seemed unusual. I haven't been noticing my quads at all for a long time. Thursday is usually a day off but I thought I'd train right through since I am not doing a long ride this weekend because the Tour de Cure 100K is next week.

Posted in |

0 comments: