I did the right thing!

(apologies to Karl McCracken)
I had planned on doing my big weekly ride today (Saturday) which I normally do on Sunday but we are going to be socializing on Sunday so I grabbed today. The only thing, it was really kind of raw .. wet and nasty (rain) .. this morning and I was already chilled to the bone before I started. But I thought, hey, the charity rides are going to go on rain or shine so I might as well get used to rain just in case it does! So I started out. About a mile into the ride I realized I hadn't switched my tire pump over from the Ross MTB to the new Raleigh. Then I realized I was carrying around the spare tube for the ROSS (26x2.25) and the road bike needs a 27x1.125! Drat! This was about 10 AM and the LBS doesn't open until 11. I turned back. I switched the pump mount over and then went up to the apartment and had some cereal while waiting for the bike shop to open.
At 11, I got to the shop just as Matt was putting his "OPEN" sign out. Got the tube, chatted a bit and then off I went.
I'm so glad I did (I knew I would be. I always am!). I rode from the bike shop about 7 miles into Albany down to the Hudson River where I picked up the Corning Bike Trail. 7 miles of that and I was back on the road in Green Island and then Cohoes where I picked up the Mohawk-Hudson bike trail at about 18 miles. Rode the trail to where it goes back on the road to go under the Twin-Bridges at about the 22.8 mile point and turned back and did the whole thing in reverse. It never did rain and got progressively lighter and drier although it never did actually clear up. I felt great. The bike was great. I did 45 miles. I'm upping my mileage on the big weekend ride by 5 miles at a time preparing for my half-century on June 8th and then 3/4 century on June 28th. I definitely could have done the 50 this time.
I did the right thing!

Posted in |

0 comments: