It never rains in southern California - oh yeah?

I'm on a business trip right now in LA for 3 days. I was little concerned about it interrupting my training as the hotel where I'm staying (actually more of a motel) does not have a fitness center.
However it is only a short drive to the Pacific - actually a straight shot to Santa Monica pier which does have a place that rents bikes and there is a paved bike path for many miles along the coast.
So I thought if I could get to the beach, I could do my training ride which at this point is just 40 minutes at 65-70%MHR.

Two problems:
1. In the past I've always had a rental car in LA but this time I'm here with other colleagues and they have the car not me and they don't want to rent another car. I toyed with the idea of renting another car on my own and paying for it myself rather than expensing it but I wound up not doing it which is a good thing because ...
2. IT'S POURING DOWN RAIN!

I know that mere rain is not a show stopper for the motivated cyclist but I didn't pack any rain gear and I'm not going to spend a couple hundred dollars on it while I'm here either (nor am I going to ride in a trash bag with a hole cut out for my head).

Fortunately, I did get a couple mile walk in last night before it started raining. Unfortunately, I can't walk that long or that hard because of my plantar fasciitis. I have one more night here. If it stops raining and I can get out of work early enough, and I can finagle the rental car or somehow get down to the beach (hmm, could take a bus or a taxi), I might revisit the rental bike idea.
I'll let you know how I make out.

Posted in |

0 comments: