cardio "bike ride" at the gym

I had a bike ride scheduled for my training today but it was raining pretty hard so I went to the gym and used the stationary recumbent bike instead. That worked out well anyhow cause I was supposed to ride a flat course keeping my HR at or under 65%MHR. That’s a lot easier to do on a stationary.

I’m trying to use a training plan I developed for myself based on Heart Zones Cycling by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed. I’m finding the trouble with that is that my HRM, a Sports Instruments Fit3, has only 3 preset zones that I can’t modify. The “health zone” is 50% to 70%MHR. That’s quite a range and 70%MHR is a lot more perceived exertion that 50%! Anyhow, it makes it hard for me to monitor how much time I spend in each of the 5 zones layed out by Edwards and Reed. I’m not going to scrap the monitor as I just got it but maybe I will modify the plan a bit to accomodate just 3 zones. I guess it’s a beginners HRM and I suppose I am a beginner so maybe I can live with it. I’m kind of a perfectionist and a guy who likes to follow the cookbook to the last jot and tittle at least the first time I make the recipe. Maybe I should chill on this one! ;-)

Posted in |

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Did you know that you can join Sweat365's fitness community and have this blog show up in the community?

    It should drive more traffic back to your site.

  2. MTB Man Says:

    Yup. I already done it! Thanks for commenting, though.