Home Groan

Yesterday, rather than do a workout from Dave Ertl, I did a hard workout but a more informal one. This one is similar to the "stop sign" workout where I alternate sprinting between stop signs or intersections and resting between same. This, perhaps, mimics normal riding more than the timed intervals.

Having said that, it was probably a less intense workout than the Dave Ertl ones. :-)

Today, I rode an easy recovery ride with Mrs. MTBMan1. No hard ride tonight. I took a look at that wobbly rear wheel and sure enough, broken spoke! I thought that wheel was only a year old but I bought it after the 2008 Tour de Cure where I rode the 100K with 3 broken spokes! I released the rear brakes so they wouldn't rub. Then at the 42 mile mark, a volunteer wrench straightened the wheel out enough so I could finish by adjusting the tension on the remaining spokes.

Anyhow I don't feel TOO bad. The wheel is TWO years old and I am a little HEAVY and I do ride pretty HARD and it is very HILLY around here and BUMPY at times although they have resurfaced a lot of roads in the last couple of years.

I figured the quickest way to get back on the road was to buy a new wheel, which I did and I switched out my cassette (after taking the opportunity to clean it up pretty good) and put everything back together. Later I'll get some spare spokes and repair the other wheel so I'll have a good spare.

Also it seems my headset is binding (or the bearings are shot). Matt at Mad Dog Bicycle seems to think I should try loosening it up a bit first to see if that helps. A project for another day!

Posted in |

0 comments: