Go Back, Jack, Do it Again!

Today was another intensity workout from David Ertl's eBook "Training for the Busy Cyclist" from roadbikerider.com.

This was a hill/leg strength workout for 45 minutes and it goes like this:

1. 10 min: warm up
2. Find a hill about 1/4 mile long and 6% grade. Choose a big gear that you can push no faster than 60 RPMs and slam it up the hill!
3. Chill for 3 minutes (i.e. recover with easy spinning, mostly back down the hill)
4. Do it again.
5. Do it as many times as you can for 30 minutes
6. Cool down for 5 minutes.

The problem with this around here is finding a hill that's 1/4 mile long, 6% grade and within 10 minutes ride of my house.

The best I could do, which I don't think was too bad, was a 1/4 mile of hill about 12 minutes from the house (I think I can cut this down by doing a different route). The grade, however, rather than 6% ranged from flat to 15%. Best I can do. If I have to drive somewhere, well that blows the 45 minutes to 1 hr that I have available after work out the window. Tricky.

My average HR was 124 bpm and my max was 158. Not as hard of a workout as the aerobic and anerobic hours that I did the last 2 times.

If I get to workout tomorrow, I will do some upper body strength training at home or at the gym.

Posted in |

0 comments: