Sunday's ride and the Killer Hills - Part 2

The second "half" of the hill was certainly more climbing than I have ever done in one day. It just seemed to be one hill after another. The thoughts "I'm not going to make it" and "I really should quit, I'm going to hurt myself" and "I'll kill you, Charles" tried to enter my consciousness but I banished them! I told Charles later I never would have done it on my own. I wanted him to think well of me. I do not want to be thought of as a quitter. Also, looking up one hill after another, each one seemingly steeper than the last, was demoralizing so I just looked at Charles' rear wheel ahead of me. As long as he kept moving, I kept moving. Finally, the road levelled out and we passed a cell tower, as Charles said, a sure sign that you're at the high point. I was positively ecstatic that i had done it and so glad that I didn't quit! During the climb I was wishing I had eaten some Clif Bar before but it was too late then. My calves wanted to cramp up at a couple of points but never did. Good boys! As promised, the ride down the other side was as spectacular as the ride up was grueling. Panoramic views of the Catskills and of course, all downhill! :-)
I was a little worried about my fanny pack as it had come loose once before and wedged between the rear wheel and top stay, stopping me rather abruptly. At that time, I wasn't going very fast and nothing bad happened but flying down this hill it would have been disastrous. But it was fine and I checked it at the bottom where Charles and I stopped for a Clif Bar before turning on to another road. Everything was a cakewalk after this! I was so glad to have done this ride. Turned out to be a perfect day. Temps just right, no wind, clear skies, ride companion, real road bike, sense of accomplishment: I can do it!

Posted in |

0 comments: