Kabuki ... bike or Japanese theatre?

Well, I'm talking about the bike here. I'm looking at a used Kabuki at my favorite LBS, Mad Dog Bicycles. I really need a road bike but am not ready to shell out the big bucks for a new one. I tried a few used ones ... a Nishiki and a Raleigh both 54 cm. and definitely too small for me. I was avoiding the Kabuki mainly cause I'd never heard of it and it had these really weird shift levers on the ends of the handlebars. After I decided that the first two were too small, Matt, my LBS guy suggested I try the Kabuki. I actually liked the feel of it and it fit me much better. I really want to get something more modern, lighter with indexed shifters but it's hard to find used for $400-450 which is what I'm willing to spend. I keep checking Craig's list. I let a Trek 2000 58cm get away for $450. It's not there any more.
I did some web research on the Kabuki and it's actually a pretty good bike. Some people that owned one or still own one rave about it. Built well although with some unusual construction. Mainly a unique method of lug welding and a seat post that uses a wedge to bind it because the aluminum lugs are not flexible like steel lugs. The main "con" that I found was that it is heavy. The "pros" are: it fits, has a solid feel, and the price is right ($159). Matt said he would put shift levers up on the stem for me. I would definitely want to put my clipless pedals on it and maybe change out the seat. Or maybe I'll just keep checking Craig's list. :-)
I'll let you know!

Posted in |

0 comments: