Endo!

I did an endo yesterday while testing out my "new" used bike. My fault. I was totally distracted trying to figure out the shifting, looking down at the derailleur when I suddenly came to the end of the street and decided to make a u-turn. I was going too fast and when I realized I wasn't going to make the turn, grabbed the front brake. Unfortunately, the brakes are so much better than what I am used to on my other bike that I stopped rather abrubtly and went over the handlebars. As I looked down at the ground coming up at me, I saw my left hand hitting the ground and the fingers bending over backwards the wrong way at the knuckle. My first thought was, "BROKEN!" My second thought was, "Oh no, I just got these pants," but they weren't ripped where my knee hit. (My skin was though!)
I got right up and boy did that hand hurt! I should have walked the bike back to the shop but I rode it anyway. I don't think the hand is broken, I can move all the fingers without any sharp pains but have no gripping strength. I have to drive using the heel of that hand like a suicide knob (remember those?).
Got home and took some vitamin I and iced the hand. It hurt real bad but got better real quick. Probably sprained. This AM there is slight swelling, not too bad, and very slight bruise between the thumb and forefinger. I AM able to type but not grip anything. Better go to the doc's and get a script for an x-ray. I wanted to get my shoulder checked out anyway. Hope they don't tell me not to ride the bike. (Bzzzt! INCORRECT! Try again).
By the way, I bought the bike. It's a Raleigh Olympian. Sweet! Pics later.

Posted in |

5 comments:

  1. Unknown Says:

    Sounds like it hurt real bad. Hope you get better soon

  2. MTB Man Says:

    Thanks, Andre. Yeah, it hurt like hell for a few hours but it's much better now. Still hurts, stiff, swollen, etc. but mostly functional. Took a 30 mile bike ride yesterday with no problem.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I read your blog all the time. I commend your healthy efforts and like you, I will soon be 60 have taken up power walking. But maybe I'll get a bike! Take care of that hand! Linda in NH

  4. MTB Man Says:

    Linda,
    thanks so much for your kind encouragement! Walking is great. I have always loved walking and hiking.
    Go for it!

  5. MTB Man Says:

    I'm also from NH. Small town on the MA border called Greenville.