Be Less Than You Can Be

I think I referred to this in a previous post, but in my youth (and not so youth) I have tended to put pedal to the metal in anything I undertake. The result was that I could sustain this level for weeks, even months but eventually lose all interest in the activity (and sometimes alienate those around me).

In these latter years, applying this tendency to physical pursuits has also resulted in injuries; nothing that serious but enough force me to stop exercising in that particular mode.

I think (I hope) that I'm finally learning the lesson that consistency at a lower intensity is preferable to inconsistency and burnout at a high level. The goal is to change my lifestyle ... permanently. Patience is the key. That's why finding a fun activity is so essential. You have to be able to exercise because you enjoy it for itself, even if (and this is crucial) YOU DON'T SEE ANY RESULTS. Of course, I believe you will see results if you follow this path. I am starting to reap this benefit. First and foremost, I FEEL GREAT! This alone is enough to spur me on to exercise every day. I can feel the change in my body even if I am not losing weight as fast as I would like. And because I'm taking it easy, a lot of the aches and pains that have thwarted my efforts in the past have gone away.

So please don't kill yourself! Seek out something fun that is also healthy. If you don't find it, keep looking, keep trying. Enjoy life!

Posted in |

0 comments: