Educational Ride!

I could have titled this "Disaster" or "Worst Ride" or something like that but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on THINGS THAT HAPPEN.
I lost the nut on my left crank arm so I called my wife to pick me up with the bike rack and pedalled a few miles with one crank (good practice!)
In the process I also lost one of my toe covers. Oh well, they were kind of shot anyway and I did get a good year out of them.
My Pearl Izumi MTN cold weather booties are on the way anyhow.
Here are some pics up until I lost the crank.

It was a little wet and foggy to start.


Here's the end of Van Dyke Rd. before going to Meads Lane.
My tires actually slipped at the top. It's very steep at the very end for just a couple of pedal strokes.


Meads Lane


Jurassic Park, no? This is actually the DEC (Dept. of Environmental Conservation). I suppose they keep suspected rabid gerbils here. :-)



First train crossing. Made it through! This area is very busy for trains and I frequently just miss getting through these crossings before a long, slow train goes through.

Posted by Picasa


Here is the start of the (once dread) Orchard Hill Rd. I tried to take a picture in the middle of the climb but it's just too hard with one hand and the delay on the camera.
From 2008_11_07 Ride


Here is a little break in the middle of Orchard Hill Rd.
From 2008_11_07 Ride


This is at the top of Orchard Hill Rd. looking back down. A little light mist was starting.
From 2008_11_07 Ride


A little while after this I lost my crank!

So what did I learn?
  • You need that little keeper cap on the end of the crankshaft to keep the nut in.
  • I could probably limp all the way home with one crank.
  • I didn't learn this yet but I intend to:
  1. Go see Matt at Mad Dog and find out why the nut wouldn't stay on
  2. What my options are
  3. Can I put a special bottom bracket and crankset on this bike like I saw in the Bike Nashbar catalog. It's a 2 ring crankset but has an extra low small ring like on a mountain bike.

Posted in |

0 comments: