Life is Cruel

When I was 17, I had a weight problem ... how to gain some. I was the proverbial 97 lb weakling (well, 155 lbs. but at 6 feet that was skinny). I could eat anything and everything and I did but I couldn't break 155. The first time I was able to gain weight was in Army basic training. I got to 180. But that was in full field dress, about 20 lbs of gear so it was more like 160. I attributed that to the intense daily physical activity. Pre-dawn runs, PT, marches, etc. Plus all the food you could eat.

Between ages 30 and 40, I was still skinny but developed a paunch. Then after 40 I steadily put on weight up to an all time high of 222! Now, I'm eating much less and much better than ever and exercising pretty vigorously on a daily basis but can't seem to break 200, at least it's very hard. A few years ago, I got down to 182 on Atkins but that diet was just not sustainable for me.

The hard core realists out there say it's just a matter of simple math. If you take in more than you burn, you gain. I know that but it doesn't seem fair that it's so hard for some of us. I know people middle aged and older who couldn't gain a pound if their life depended on it. So, apparently their metabolism is higher. Are they "hotter" inside? Running a constant fever? Can't be. How does that work? What does that mean "higher metabolism". Rant, rave, rant, rave ...

My hope was that I could build up to enough exercise that I wouldn't have to worry about diet. Apparently that is not the case.

Don't tell me to suck up and deal. I know that! And I will!

Posted in |

0 comments: