Hills ... Love 'em ... Hate 'em!

Sometimes I dread climbing and sometimes I love it.

Actually I was really looking forward to the hills today. I haven't climbed in this particular area all season. This was the second time I've ever done this climb and it seemed easier today.

It was certainly the perfect day and my favorite time slot. Sunday morning, early before everybody's up for the day. Charles now lives about 2 miles from my house so he met me at 6:30 and off we went. It was about 58 degrees, calm and no rain predicted.

As you can see from the graph below, it's mostly climbing for the first 16 miles. Definitely all climbing from the 10 mile mark where the climb into the Thatcher Park area begins. At about 11.5 miles is the start of Indian Ledge Road, today's big climb.

I was surprised at my heart rate numbers. I averaged 130(75% MHR) and topped out at 155 (89%MHR). Low for me for a hard climb like that. I have a theory that I run a lower heart rate in the morning than in the afternoon and evening. One time I took a group ride around 6:30PM and was shocked at my relatively high HR numbers. And I didn't feel that I was working particularly hard either.

My computer for some reason measured about 7 miles less than the actual mileage. I'm sure it had to do with the fact that the sending unit got shaken loose at a particularly rough downhill and I had to stop and reposition it. So my mileage and time numbers are not particularly reliable. The GPS reported a high speed at one point of 58 mph! I doubt that although I got going pretty good on the way back down from summit. Nothing quite like a long downhill run after you've earned it!

Almost back to my house I nearly skidded out on a sharp turn. It felt like a flat in the rear. Sure enough the tire was soft but not completely flat. That was a new tube that I just installed last weekend on a ride. After I got home, I patched the tire. Upon close inspection I can see that my rear tire is shot. Cord is showing in some spots and there is a hole clear through the tire! Time for a new one. My LBS isn't open again until Wednesday so I may be riding one of the mountain bikes till then unless I can find a 27" tire in Albany on Tuesday (Monday's a holiday).

Here are my numbers:
Average heart rate: 130
Maximum heart rate: 155
Total ride time: 2:34
Total ascent: 2854 feet
Total descent: 2835 feet
Cadence: 64 rpm

And here is the route I call simply, Indian Ledge:


indian ledge


Plan your trips with EveryTrail Mobile Travel Guides

Posted in |

0 comments: