Will work for chain lube!

I'm trying to be unhappy. Really, I am. I mean, being unemployed after 19 years is a serious business. I certainly should be concerned and not out and about on a bike enjoying life!
I'm just trying to maintain my routine while I'm looking for a job and I usually ride early in the morning before going to work so that's what I did. Actually, it was raining a bit yesterday AM, so I got to try out my O2 rain pants for the first time and I tied plastic bread bags around my shoes to keep them dry, the height of cycling fashion. I decided to try a new route and I am supposed to be taking it easy in preparation for the 100K Tour de Cure on Sunday so I avoided the big hill country and headed south.
I love being out in the rain. Always have. Some of my friends know this. There's a kind of dreamy melancholy to it. Certainly solitude. No one else will be out. The leaves and plants seem to be more succulent and emit a fluorescent green as they drink in the water. I find it comforting and peaceful.
So I tried to think of the dire consequences of being without income for the last few days and I was successful initially but it was a struggle. Eventually I gave up and gave in to the joy of being alive and free on a bicycle, in the rain, in southern Albany county.
Oh, I did my duty that day. I got back to the house, maybe a little later than usual. Did my prep for a job interview today. Got a haircut, bought a new suit. I think I'm being responsible. I have images of myself on a busy intersection in the city with my bike holding a sign that says "Will work for chain lube." My former colleagues pass by shaking their heads that such a promising and bright star in the IT industry has come to this.
Anyway, here's the route. It was actually about 21 miles cause I did a little backtracking trying to make decisions about where to go next.

Posted in |

0 comments: