Be LESS than you can be!

Perhaps I should explain. Some people who work hard and sacrifice to achieve their goals may get upset by the title of this post. Maybe "some people" are too serious! ;-)
I have related in previous articles and posts how I always thought achievement in athletics was brought about by day after day of pedal to the metal all out effort. Much like stories of the Navy Seals or Delta Force training. People running on broken legs, things like that.
It was a pleasant revelation, no, an epiphany, to find that rest and recovery were as important as pain and suffering!
The first time I heard about this was in Joe Friel's book Cycling Over 50.
The other day I picked up Friel's The Cyclist's Training Bible. How can you not love a training program that specifies a midday nap every day!?
I'm all over this one.
Friel says that growth hormone is released from the pituitary gland during workouts and sleep. So he recommends that nap to get an extra "hit" of growth hormone every day. He says "Growth hormone speeds recovery, rebuilds muscles and breaks down body fat."
So, back to the title. To me it means training smart not hard; training according to a scientific plan; listening to your body, e.g. backing off when your body says "not today". Of course, all this requires some experience, teachability and constant learning, relearning and adjusting.
It's opened up a whole new world to me. I can actually become fit. Maybe even superfit. I can ride races. Maybe even win them!
What a thought!

Posted in |

0 comments: