Stratton VT - 3/22/2103

Yesterday I skied at Stratton VT. I haven't been at Stratton much in the last couple of years. Since being bought by Intrawest they have not offered good enough deals that meet my criteria ($30 or less).
However, lately they have begun offering some discounted advance purchase tickets that, since I have become a "senior", do meet my fiscal requirements; $29. (Incidentally, as of April 1st everybody will be able to pre-purchase $29 tickets and my price as a senior goes down to $25!)
I have always liked Stratton. They have some great terrain, a lot of variety and long runs (Wanderer along the west side is 3 miles).
Of course all of the resorts in the Northeast have been raving about the conditions the last couple of weeks so I was very excited to get in on it.
What Mrs. MTBMan1 and I have been doing is bypassing the main area and going straight to the Sun Bowl. It has a smaller mountain feel. Parking is easier with no need for shuttles and it's generally less crowded.
Conditions were very good. They'd had about 15" of snow during the past week and it showed it on the ungroomed trails. Otherwise everything was powder and packed powder. I even caught a few pristine groomers on my first few runs. One of my favorite runs is Lower Downeaster but it was a bit bumpy today so I couldn't really let go on it. On the other hand, Gentle Ben was great. It's kind of a twisty trail with switchbacks but the surface was consistent. After doing all of the trails on the lower part of the Sunbowl and one run from the top down Black Bear, I traversed over to the Main side.
I did Wanderer the long green along the western edge.
Favorites on this side for me were Drifter and Get My Drift which, as the names imply get an almost constant windblown coating which keeps the snow soft and smooth.
Wound up doing 16 runs and pretty much frying my quads which makes for a pretty good day.
Here are my stats: http://www.alpinereplay.com/stats/?id=46688

Next up: Windham on Monday.

Posted in |

0 comments: