Yavohl! Der Schnee ist gut, yah?!

Sorry. I get my Teutonic yah-yahs on whenever I put on skis.

Mrs. MTBMan1 and I skied Stratton Mtn. in Vermont today courtesy of a Warren Miller coupon (oh yeah!).

I would say it was a very successful venture!

I didn't throw one tantrum and I only uttered one swear word all day (when Mrs. MTBMan1 almost cut me off flying past me from behind).

Compared to the last outing (Windham Mtn.) where I was pretty shaky the first two runs, I got right into it from the get-go. When I felt things starting to get out of control I just reminded myself to lean forward against the boot fronts and relax. It worked pretty well.

The temperature only got to 22° when we left for home at 2PM in Bondville which is halfway up the mountain. I assume it was somewhat lower on the slopes. It was pretty windy too, maybe 25mph or more going up on the lift. Brisk! We were well dressed for the occasion, though:

MTBMan1 smiles for the camera


We went straight to the "Sun Bowl" area past the Main Base and the first 2 parking lots. I highly recommend this spot at Stratton. Most people go to the main base where the "village" is but you have to park in lots 1 & 2 and get shuttled in an open air "cattle truck" to the base with all your gear.

Much better, in my opinion, is the Sun Bowl where you can drop off your stuff then park and walk back to the lodge.

The Sun Bowl is appropriately named. While the rest of world was wreathed in swirling snow clouds we actually had some blue sky for part of the day.

It was not crowded either which is why we like to ski during the week and not on holidays or weekends. We had the luxury of waiting until there was not a soul to be seen uphill or down to start our runs in many cases and no waiting at the lifts!

We put in about 4 hours there including a half-hour for lunch. Would like to ski more but just don't have the strength. And when you get tired, it's just not worth pushing it. It starts to lose it's fun and can get frustrating. Quit while you're ahead I suppose. It's always that "one more run" that can taint a beautiful day.

Next up: Bromley Mtn. in VT (right across the "street" from Stratton) for which Mrs. MTBMan1 won a free ticket at the ski expo and I won a $10 off coupon off their already cheap price of $39. So ... $29 for a day of skiing for two? And after that? Two free ticks to Whiteface in the Adirondacks (also won by Mrs. MTBMan1 at the expo) and 2 - 2 fer ones at Jiminy Peak in Hancock Ma. (paid for as a gift from a friend) and to round out the season $25 a pop at Butternut in Gt. Barrington, Ma.

Mein Gott! Himmel! (sorry!)

Posted in |

0 comments: