Ski Day 9? Belleayre

Ski day #9 (i think). This past Wednesday I went down to Belleayre off route 28 in the Catskills. The deal was $30 for a lift ticket if you presented a Coke product at the ticket window.
Conditions were awful to OK. The first trail I tried was a blue square that wraps around the east side called Roaring Brook. The middle 3rd of this trail was like skiing on pebbles. Not fun. In fact I hit something that was more rock size and nearly lost it.
Correctly assuming there was probably better, I checked out the west side via the Tomahawk lift. Deer Run is an equivalent trail running along the west side and it was much better. Getting back on the lift I overheard someone say that Peekamoose was excellent from top to bottom so I tried that next and it was very good. A smooth coating of packed powder over the groom like someone had plastered it. Very nice. The upper portion is a black diamond and the lower is blue square. I had a good time working on my black diamond technique and by the 3rd run on it I felt pretty comfortable.
So things turned out pretty good.
The runs are short unless you want to ski all the way down to the lower lodge over green terrain. Not too challenging. But the runs are still longer than Bosquet which @ $20 for night skiing looked to be my only option during the Feb. holiday break. However, this year, Belleayre is not going to charge holiday rates after President's day that week including $30 Coke Wednesday so I most likely will be back then.

Next up, Feb. 14th (my 65th birthday) at Sugarbush, VT. $14 full mountain lift tickets. You heard right. $14. No strings.

By the way, after my birthday, I can now officially get senior rates at most places. Oh yeah!

Here's a pic of me biting the dust (powder) at Butternut a couple of weeks back.


Posted in |

0 comments: