a cold AM ski

We've been having a bit of a cold snap here in the Northeast over the past week.
A few days ago, I went out in the AM for a XC ski in the town park, about 5 minutes away.
The temp was about 10°.
I parked in my church parking lot as there is a trail from there leading right into the park.
It was a little windy too. The snow was great. I love skiing on windblown snow.
Nobody around. Just encountered one woman walking her dog.
Just a few minutes in my boot released from the binding. After a couple more tries I just couldn't get it to stay attached so I headed back to the car.
Fortunately I have another pair of skis. I went home, picked those up and went back to the park. I don't generally use those skis because they are too short and narrow for my weight and height.
The fitness trail at the park consists of 2 separate loops mostly in the woods. The first loop entrance was blocked by a large tree that had fallen across. I had to bushwack my way around it.
The trail wasn't as good as the other day at 5 Rivers because many more hikers had trampled it down but I still got a good hour out of it.
I was pretty warm. In fact, when I got back the inside of the jacket I was wearing was soaked with sweat. I guess it doesn't breathe too well.
I fiddled with the binding on the other skis when I got back. The bail was bent out of shape. I was not able to bend it back completely right but I think it'll work. At least I hope it will 'cause I am going to try to use them Saturday with Brad up in Berne. I called EMS to try to get a replacement bail but they don't carry them.
I suppose these 3 pin bindings are out of date. The current bindings they are selling are high-tech like everything else. You can't just buy new boots or skis or bindings if you need them, you have to get everything new or they won't match!
We'll be going out about 10AM tomorrow and they are calling for about 4° by then!
Should be fun! I'll bring a camera.

Posted in |

0 comments: