Burning foot syndrome...This is huge!

I've got to try this. I had terrible pain when I did the 100K benefit ride this summer.

This from Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
September 21, 2008, (my favorite on-line health and fitness advisor)

"Burning Feet while Cycling

Many cyclists suffer from "burning foot syndrome", pain
on the bottom of the feet, particularly during a long ride.
After years of this problem, I tried a simple tip from RoadBikeRider,
a free weekly newsletter from some of America's best long distance
bicycle riders: Ed Pavelka, Fred Matheny, and Lon Halderman.
They suggest moving the cleats back as far as possible toward
the arch of the foot. All of the other articles I have read and all
of the experts I have consulted recommend that you set your cleats
on your shoes so that the ball of your big toe is exactly aligned
with the axle of the pedal. Following Lon Haldeman's advice, I
moved my cleats back last week and my feet have stopped burning.
I also think that I am riding faster."

"This flies in the face of what other experts claim: the
further back your cleat, the less power you get from your calf
muscle. That's just not true. More than 90 percent of the pressure
on your pedals comes from your thighs, not your lower leg (calf)
muscles. The pain is caused by the front part of the foot pressing
on the pedals. Moving the cleat backward takes the pressure of
the forefoot and relieves the pain. As Haldeman states, you
actually can be in better shape when you don't have burning feet,
and you can train further and ride faster. (To subscribe to their
free newsletter go to http://roadbikerider.com)"

Posted in |

0 comments: