Winter's not over yet!

I'm encouraged.
Went for a short hike at the Five Rivers Environmental Center run by the NY State Department of Environmental Conservation about 5 minutes away.
I was surprised and encouraged by the decent snow pack remaining considering there is no man- made snow production to build up the base.
I have been concerned about the rain and above freezing temps over the last couple of weeks that it might severely damage the trails for the remainder of the ski season.
Although there were bare spots, these were mostly caused by some flooding of the streams here. Anything untouched by the water was still pretty good. Even skiable!
Here are a few mobile pix that I took today:

That's about 10" of snow that you can see beyond the bridge. After that it was washed out.

Could I jump that?


Everything that was flooded was covered by a gray silt.


Dam from a mill that used to be at the site.


Geese


Yeah, I could ski that.


That too.


And this one.

Posted in |

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie Says:

    My goodness, that is a lot of flooding! Did you wear your Wellies on that hike?! i will be mightily impressed if you find enough snow to ski on!

  2. MTB Man Says:

    No, just my old leaky hiking boots. didn't really have to touch any water.