My most influential books (of the moment)

Here are the books that have had the most impact recently on my training and fitness goals:
1. Cycling over 50 by Joe Friel
This was where I first got the revelation that it was not only OK but essential to incorporate rest into training and not just ride flat out as often and as long as possible. Friel also introduced me to the concepts of periodicity in training and recovery nutrition.
2. Bike for Life: How to Ride to 100 by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky
Lots of good information interspersed with inspiring interviews with accomplished older riders. A more entertaining read than Friel. What I learned indirectly from some of these stories is that it's easy for motivated cyclists to get addicted to training to the detriment of the rest of their lives (e.g. marriage, health, etc.)
3. Heart Zone Cycling by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed
How to use a heart rate monitor to setup a training plan. A bit technical and hard to understand at times but you can glean at whatever level you like. Includes a variety of training rides.
4. The Heart Rate Monitor Book for outdoor and indoor cyclist also by Edwards and Reed
Similar to heart zone cycling but I liked that it included rides using stationary bikes as well. A little easier to work with. Software included on a CD for tracking training rides. I like the variety of rides they suggest. Helps to relieve boredom especially for the stationary bike sessions.
5. Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink
I am basing my current "un-diet" on this book. The premise is that we don't really think about what we're doing when we're eating but are receiving subtle cues from our environment, other people and early life programming. The idea is to manipulate these cues to our benefit so we can still not think about what we're eating but eat less and better and lose weight. I'm indebted to garyd over on sweat365.com for suggesting this book

Posted in |

0 comments: