Tire changing ... the bane of my existence

Had another flat tire today that I had to repair before going on my ride. I took the day off from work so I had time to do some wrenching.

As usual, I couldn't find a leak in the tube so I just swapped it out. But why is it so hard to get the tire off. Some people do it with just their hands. Yeah right. I'm struggling with 3 tire levers and it's still a wrestling match. Goes back on somewhat easier.

I stopped off at Mad Dog Bicycles the other day to pick up some Slime® but Matt says he doesn't carry it. Doesn't believe in it. He says if the tube does blow it makes a mess.

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

The second worst bane of my existence is shifting adjustments. I've been having problems with the chain dropping off the little chain ring, sometimes even to the outside on the big chain ring, it won't shift onto the biggest cog, and worst of all, the chain drops off the smallest cog and gets wedged in between the cassette and the drop out necessitating removal of the rear wheel to free it.

After I changed my tube today, I put the bike up on the rack and adjusted the derailleurs.

Today's ride was 100% malfunction free! Hooray!

Posted in |

1 comments:

  1. EZGO Says:

    I have had the same problem with tires and tubes. I have found that my rim tape was causing some of my problems. I dont think the quality control on bike tubes is very high. I just bought a set of Specialized all condition Armadillos. So far so good. I hated paying that much for tires but I also go tired of changing flats. I have not had very good luck with slime. It really makes a mess if you cut a tire. I enjoy your blog. Thanks for posting.