a nice way to spend a hot day

Some people say "isn't it too hot to be out riding a bike?"
But you know, it's a pleasant way to be out on a hot day 'cause you bring your own breeze with you. Especially if you have got to a level where you can maintain some speed.
I got frustrated with work so I just shut the computer down and went out for a ride "so I would feel like I accomplished something today."
I told my wife I was just going to do a short ride, under an hour, but it wound up being an hour and a half. I did twenty miles instead of ten plus I got stuck at a train crossing, waited awhile and then backtracked and did a detour on a stretch of road that I really don't like but you can go under the train (a trestle). The road has a lot of fast traffic, it's narrow and doesn't have any shoulder in some places. Next time I'll wait for the train. By the time I got to the trestle it had gone by anyway.
Some farmer tooted behind me cause he was towing a wide piece of equipment. I had to get off the pavement to let him go by without danger. This is how people get killed around here. Last year a local cyclist got killed because some meathead with a Winnebago tried to squeeze by him on a narrow road. What is the matter with people? At least this guy was good enough to warn me. Maybe he would have stopped until it was safe.
I'm glad I went out for the ride. My average speed was over 14 mph. Good for me considering a slow slog up Orchard Hill Road. And I love rollers!
Here's the route including the double-back detour.

Posted in |

0 comments: