I Love Being Sore!

I love being sore. I mean muscularly sore a day or 2 after a hard workout not sore joints and connective tissue from overuse or improper form.

Because that soreness means I accomplished something. I accomplished what I intended to do when I worked out the previous day.

And that is, I damaged some muscle fibers.

Sounds bad. And it is kind of gross to think about the tearing and bleeding of muscle tissue.

But if I allow for proper rest, recovery and nutrition, those damaged muscles will repair themselves and adapt to my regimen by making themselves just a little bit stronger.

And that's my goal: to get just a little bit better each day. A little bit stronger.

So when I am offered pain relievers when I comment (not complain) about my soreness, I usually decline.

Because I like the soreness. It's a continual reminder that I am accomplishing what I set out to accomplish.

You don't often get feedback that quickly and continuously in life's endeavors (at least not the positive feedback ;-)).

I think, perhaps also, that I get a feeling of aliveness, awareness of the muscles. An awakening if you will, of muscles I didn't know I had.

Maybe I'm weird.

Some say that I am (those who know me - with affection - others - well......).

That's OK.

I'll take weird to mean unique.

And we all are, you know. I mean unique.

But that's a subject for another post!

Posted in |

0 comments: