Drums

I borrowed a snare drum and brushes for one of Mrs. MTBMan1's songs. It has a 123 123 12 guitar picking pattern which could translate into a latin beat but I don't think the song wants that. I tried various combinations of clave, hand drum and tambourine but they were all too strong and the tambourine was too jangly. I'm thinking of more of a soft chuff-chuff than a chang-chang ... maybe maracas?
In any event, I borrowed a snare from one friend who doesn't play but has a trap set he's trying to sell and nylon brushes from his brother who does play. I initially thought I would use the electronic traps at church and record directly out of that but when I noticed that my friend Steve had a set sitting in his rumpus room I jumped at that opportunity. Obviously it will be a more natural sound and i can do it in the convenience of my own home studio.
I pulled up some youtubes on how to tune a snare and then how to play brushes. It's scary how much knowledge is out there and it's all at your fingertips.
I love learning something new and I always wanted to play drums. Heck I've always wanted to play everything! ;-)
Here's a photo of our "studio".



Posted in |

0 comments: