Move Every Day!

Did I today? No. It was raining pretty hard but I could have gone to the gym (no parking, crowded, dim, noisy, TVs blaring, uh-uh).

Nevertheless, "Move Every Day" is a tenet of my Fitness Filosofy.

What do I mean by move?

"Hey, I moved off the couch to the fridge to grab a cold one - or - I moved from the bed to the bathroom and then back to bed again."

No, that's not what I mean.

By moving, I mean something intentional to enhance your health even if it's just a 20 minute walk or raking the leaves for 1/2 hour.

As masters (I prefer the term to "seniors") we may need to recover for more than a day, maybe even a week, between hard efforts.

We could do nothing, but it's probably better to do some kind of movement to keep those joints, tendons and muscles from stiffening up and to get the blood circulating.

Dr. Gabe Mirkin says that studies show that exercise before and/or after eating helps to keep blood sugar down and prevents diabetes. At my in-laws house there is a tradition of taking a short walk after dinner which I always thought quaint but of minimal health benefit. I guess there is something to it.


You know I could have walked in the rain. I forgot, I actually like walking in the rain. I guess I haven't transitioned to my spring/summer attitude about the rain. I'm still in ski season mode and RAIN IS BAD for skiing!

I like riding the bike in the rain too but I don't like cleaning the bike afterwards (so I don't do it but feel guilty). All the road grit sticks to it and grinds away at the moving parts.

OK. Tomorrow it's bike, run or walk in that order. Rain or shine!

Move!

Posted in |

0 comments: