Extremism in defense of fitness IS a vice!

My obsessive nature is so devious, so sneaky. It comes in the back door when I'm trying to be not obsessive! In my previous entry, "Be LESS Than You Can Be", I was trying to counter the tendency, which I share with many others, to go all out when beginning an activity, pedal to the metal and all that. To the point of burn out.

In that entry I talk about limiting yourself to the point where you are "bored out of your skull"! But, you know, I was thinking about that while riding my bike today and being "bored out of your skull" is antithetical to the concept of having fun, which is the core of my fitness message!

It's one of those negatives that may ultimately cause you to quit.

Don't forget, I'm talking about someone just starting out after years of sedentary living. Or maybe getting back into it after an inactive winter.

Like me riding the bike today.

I shouldn't be hitting it like I was at the peak of cycling season last summer. I need to get those legs limbered up and my bottom toughened up with a few easy to moderate rides.

Listen to my body. It will tell me when it's ready to go.

So I don't really mean for you to exercise at a level that bores you out of your skull. That's a bit of hyperbole. Sorry.

Just be sure your body is ready to go before you start to ramp it up.

**********************************************************************

I rode about 13 miles today at a moderate pace. Average speed was 12.4mph and my cadence was 71RPMs. I'm OK with that. I'm shooting for an average cadence of 80 or better. My heart rate monitor says my average HR was 86! I doubt that. It must not have been picking up for half the ride. I have to get a new HRM any way. This one works but the body of the watch broke where it holds the wrist strap in. I tried super gluing it but it didn't hold.

Anyway it was great getting out on the road in the fresh air. It was almost raining but I kind of like the rain except that it's bad for skiing! I'm hoping Mrs. MTBMan1 and I can get at least one more ski day in.

Posted in |

0 comments: