Ride 4 Love

Today I rode 50 miles (53.6 to be exact) to raise money for an organization called Love146.
Riding buddies Charles and Brad rode with me and we all drove up to the start in Ballston Spa, NY together.

This is the 2nd year for this event and twice the riders (120) turned out for it this year than last year. I heard that $30,000 was raised.

Starting temperature was in the chilly 40s but it warmed up to 65 later and was a sunny day with no wind. Perfect.

Well first thing out of the gate I dropped my chain off my small cog. This was probably because my rear wheel was not seated in the dropouts properly but I didn't realize it at the time. I had problems shifting on to the big cog until I figured out what was wrong.

I had to push it to catch up with Charles and Brad cause there was a long hill right at the start . I don't like to warm up that way.

Then, after the first rest stop Charles disappeared. We didn't see him the rest of the ride. Turns out he took off ahead of us with another group and they took a wrong turn!

It was at this first rest stop that I fixed my rear wheel. The bike was perfectly fine after that.

Brad and I stuck together for the rest of the ride and that made the time go by quickly.

I'm pleased by my performance this year. Last year, I was not only last on the 75 mile ride but ride organizers didn't know I was still out there and shut down all the rest stops. On that ride and the Tour de Cure 100K before it, I deliberately did not push myself because I was concerned about finishing. I think my average speed was only 10 or 11 mph.

This year I was more confident and rode with a 14.4 mph average for the entire ride. I was not last and passed lots of people.

I did push it, although not to the max, and the last 5 miles seemed to be the hardest, in part because it was mostly uphill! All rides should start and finish at the bottom don't you think? ;-)

The ride was better organized this year with well marked turns and a volunteer that checked everybody off the sign up list as they came in to the finish. Made for a less stressful ride for me.

So yeah, I pushed it and I'm feeling it already, not 2 days later as I usually do. I'm going to try not to take any Vitamin "I" (ibuprofen) because I heard from Dr. Mirkin that it delays healing.

I also wound up taking a hike afterwards. 'Cause Mrs. MTBMan1's sister was up visiting from Maryland and we wanted to show her Indian Ladders Trail on the Helderberg Escarpment. We've been there zillions of times but it's fun to show it to someone who has never been. Lot's cool rock formations, caves, cliffs, waterfalls, geology and history.

At first I didn't want to go because I had just ridden 50 miles but I told myself "Walk it out, you weenie!" ;-)

Here's the map of the ride:

Posted in |

0 comments: